Change of name after divorce

Stamp on divorce papers

Stamp on divorce papers, © picturedesk.com

04.03.2024 - Article

Would you like to take your birth name again after your divorce? Before you can apply for a new passport with your new name, you must first submit a name declaration.


Do you have a married name, your marriage has meanwhile been divorced and you want to reassume the name you used before the marriage or your maiden name? In order for your name to be effectively changed for German legal matters / documents, you must submit a name declaration. You can only apply for a new passport in your chosen name after you have received the name certificate.

Please note: In principle, the divorce that took place abroad must first be recognized in Germany before the name declaration can be submitted. Further information can be found here (in German language): Anerkennung einer ausländischen Scheidung

What documents do I have to submit?

Applications must be handed in personally at the German Embassy Windhoek and only after booking an appointment through the following link: Online Appointment System

The online appointment system works optimal on the browsers Microsoft Edge and Firefox. If you cannot access the page properly, please read our information on trouble shooting her:

All documents must be submitted in the original and in duplicate. You cannot make copies at the embassy; you must bring all necessary copies with you.

Foreign language documents (exception: English and French) must be submitted with a translation into German or English.
Please provide the following documents:

  • Fully completed form „Unilateral declaration of naming after divorce“, not yet signed; download the form in German language: Formular: Einseitige Erklärung zur Namensführung nach Ehescheidung PDF / 78 KB
  • The applicant's birth or parentage certificate
  • If applicable: confirmation of deregistration of the parents' last place of residence in Germany
  • If applicable: current residence permit
  • Valid passport or, if applicable, the applicant's German identity card
  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • If applicable, proof of recognition of the foreign divorce in Germany. Divorces made abroad must generally be recognized in Germany. More information can be found here:
  • Recognition of a Foreign Divorce
  • If the applicant was naturalized in Germany: Naturalization certificate
  • If the applicant was naturalized in Namibia: Namibian naturalization certificate and German retention permit

Please note: this list concerns documents that have to be presented in routine cases. Since German naming law is very complex and many situations are possible, additional documents can be requested from the Windhoek embassy or the responsible registry office in Germany in individual cases.


Fees apply to the diplomatic mission abroad. They must be paid in Namibian Dollar when applying. The euro amount will be converted at the embassy’s current exchange rate. Payment can be made in cash or with a Visa or MasterCard credit card. List of fees.

Processing time

The German Embassy Windhoek has no influence on the processing times of the German registry offices and can therefore not provide any information about the status of the procedure.

Please note that a German passport can only be issued as soon as the certificate of naming has been received from the registry office.

Top of page