Passport for minors

Auf dem Bild sind zwei ca. 5-jährige Mädchen zu sehen, die nebeneinander auf einem Koffer sitzen und lachen. Die Mädchen sind Zwillinge und gleich gekleidet in ein weißes langärmliges Hemd und einen rosafarbenen kurzen Rock.

Wer verreisen möchte, braucht einen gültigen Pass., © picture alliance

01.04.2021 - Article

German minors need their own travelling document. It is not possible anymore to register children in a parent's passport.

Who can apply for a German passport?

Only German citizens can get a German passport. If you are not sure whether your child has acquired the German citizenship, this question has to be answered first.

Further information on the German citizenship is available here: StA

Who can apply for the child's passport?

Both parents or all legal guardians and the child must personally hand in the application at the German Embassy Windhoek. An appointment has to be booked in good time on the website of the Embassy: Online appointment system

If one of the parents/legal guardians is unable to attend the appointment, his/her signature on the application form has to be certified (through a German authority, a German mission abroad or a competent Namibian authority).
If one parent has the sole right of parental custody of the child, the relevant court order or other documentation like a divorce or death certificate have to be provided.

Residency in Germany?

If the child still has its place of residence in Germany, please apply for the passport there. The German Embassy in Windhoek is not responsible for such cases.

Should there be exceptional circumstances (such as a loss of passport during travel) that means that you cannot apply for a new passport in Germany, the German Embassy in Windhoek will be able to render support.

In addition to the passport fees, you will need to pay a non-responsibility recovery fee (Unzuständigkeitszuschlag) as well as other necessary fees such as telephone costs. The processing time will take longer, since the Embassy will need to receive an authorization from the responsible authority in Germany.

Declaration of name change

Please note that the family name mentioned in a foreign birth certificate does not automatically need to be the family name under German Name Law.

For further information on a declaration to change a name, please contact the Consular Section.


Passport applications have to be submitted in person (child and all legal guardians) at the German Embassy in Windhoek. Please arrange an appointment well in advance under the following link: Online Appointment System

The appointment system has been developed for use at a PC with browers Firefox or Internet Explorer. If you cannot access the page or book an appointment properly, please read our information on trouble shooting here: How to book an appointment with the Consular Section

All documents have to be provided as original and as copy. Certified copies by German or Namibian authorities can replace the original. Documents in other languages than in English must be handed in with a translation into German.
Please bring the following documents personally to your appointment:

1. Completed and signed application for a passport
Passport for minors: application form (German - English) PDF / 559 KB

One passport photo.
The photo only has to be biometric for children above 6 years. Please note that photos that deviate from the pattern panel for passport photos cannot be accepted.

Photo template for passport photos PDF / 550 KB

3. Last German passport or children’s passport (if available; if the last passport is lost or was stolen, please provide the police report)
4. Proof or registration/deregistration of the last or current place of residence in Germany (if applicable)
5. Birth Certificate
6. Marriage certificate of the parents (if applicable)
7. If applicable: birth certificate of the German parent
8. Current passports of the parents or the legal guardians
9. If the parents or the child were naturalized in Germany: German naturalization certificate or „Registrierschein“
10. If a German parent and/or the child were naturalized in Namibia: Namibian certificate of naturalization and official permission to retain German citizenship (Beibehaltungsgenehmigung)
11. If the child does not have Namibian citizenship: current residence permit
12. If the child is also a Namibian citizen: Namibian identity document of the child
13. If applicable: certificate of name issued by a German civil registry
14. Confirmation of paternity (if applicable)
15. Proof of the sole right of parental custody (if applicable): relevant court order, divorce or death certificate


The fees for the passports need to be paid at the application in Namibian Dollar. The below mentioned fees will be converted into Namibian Dollar according to the exchange rate at the Embassy on that day. Payment can be done with cash or credit cards (Visa or MasterCard).

Passport for applicants under 24 years (32 pages): 68,50 Euro
Passport for applicants over 24 years (32 pages): 90,50 Euro
If necessary, non-responsibility fees (applicants under 24 years): 37,50 Euro

Processing time and validity

German passport are produced by the Federal Printing Office in Berlin. Please expect a processing time of 8 – 10 weeks.

For a fee of 32,00 Euro you can apply for the passport in the express procedure. The processing time then takes approx. 5-6 weeks.
Passports for applicants below 24 years are valid for 6 years.

At a glance: downloads und links

For all consular services at the passport section of the German Embassy Windhoek you have to arrange an appointment well in advance. Please find the link to the online appointment system here:

Online Appointment System

The appointment system has been developed for use at a PC with browers Firefox or Internet Explorer. With other browsers or devices, performance can be limited. If you cannot access the page properly, please read our information on trouble shooting here: How to book an appointment with the Consular Section

For all questions you do not find an answer for on this website, please contact the Consular Section directly:

Contact the German Embassy Windhoek

Top of page