Schengen visas allow people to stay in the Schengen area for up to 90 days every six-month period. The German Embassy Windhoek is responsible for processing your application if your main destination is one of the following countries:
Germany, Austria, Belgium, France, Greece, Hungary, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands and Switzerland.
Preparing your application
Please prepare your application as follows:
- Please fill out the visa application form: Application form for Schengen visa (English language version) PDF / 98 KB
Biometric passport photo sample PDF / 2 MB
You can accelerate application procedures if you fill in your application electronically beforehand. Please print out the application form AND the barcode that is automatically generated and bring it with you when you come to the embassy: Application form for Schengen visa (electronically, to be printed out)
- Please compile the documents you need to submit with your application. If documents or supporting documentation are missing, your application may be rejected. We have prepared a checklist for each type of visa:
Checklist for tourist visa PDF / 416 KB
Checklist for business visa PDF / 413 KB
Checklist for visitor visa - family and friends PDF / 417 KB
Booking an appointment
You need an appointment to submit your application. You may submit your application three months before the start of your planned trip at the earliest. You can make your appointment here:
- Please book only one appointment per person providing the correct passport number
- Entry to the consulate is permitted 30 minutes prior to your booked appointment with printed booking confirmation and passport in order to verify the correct passport number as stated in your booking
- Plan your commute so that you are in time for your appointment. If you are late we will not be able to attend to you - we ask for understanding in the interest of all applicants
- The online appointment system works optimal on the browsers Internet Explorer and Firefox.
- Please note that appointments are currently only available in 4 weeks' time. We therefore advise you to make your appointment in good time before your trip.
- Information for families only: families with minor children and four or more members applying for visa can ask for an individually set appointment. Time options are limited (only Thursdays at 2:15 p.m.).
Please send your e-mail request to firstname.lastname@example.org and state for each family member applying for visa the full name, date of birth, passport number and family relationship.
These family appointments will be given on a "first come - first serve" basis. Entry to the consulate is only permitted with a printout of the confirmation e-mail received by the Embassy.
Submitting your application
In order to submit your application, please attend your appointment at the Embassy in person.
- Entry to the consulate is permitted 30 minutes prior to your booked appointment with printed booking confirmation and passport in order to check the correct number
- Please plan your commute so that you are in time for your appointment. If you are late we will not be able to attend to you - we ask for understanding in the interest of all applicants
During this appointment, we kindly ask you to submit all of your application documents, pay the fee and answer questions about your planned trip. Your fingerprints will also be taken on this occasion.
What happens during processing?
The Embassy will review your application and make a decision on whether or not to grant you a visa. To this end, it will assess whether your application meets the legal requirements. Processing generally takes 7 working days. We hope you will understand that we are not able to answer any questions on the status of your application during this processing period. After that, enquiries can only be answered if they are made by the applicant, his/her legal representative or another person authorised in writing by the applicant.
Return of your passport
As soon as the Embassy has decided on your application, you can collect your passport during the following times:
|Monday to Thursday:||14:00 - 14:30|
|Friday:||12:30 - 13:00|
You should collect your passport in person. If you are not able to collect it yourself, you can authorise another person to collect it for you. To do so, please write a short note who will pick up your passport. This person has to provide us with a copy of his/her ID in order to make sure that we hand out the passport to the authorized person only.
There are various reasons why your visa application may be rejected. The reasons will be stated in the letter notifying you that your application has been rejected.
You are welcome to submit a new application at any time with complete, informative and verifiable documentation.
Have a good trip! Information for visa holders
If all the information on your visa label is correct, you are free to travel. Please check the information on the label as soon as your passport is returned to you. You should let us know immediately if there are any mistakes so that we can issue you a new visa.
Your visa will state your full name and passport number and include your photo. It will also state the period of validity. This is the time period in which you can travel. In addition, it will state the maximum number of days you can stay in the Schengen area during the period of validity of your visa. Our aim is to give you a certain amount of flexibility in planning your trip. In order to allow you to change your travel dates at short notice, visas are usually valid for 15 days longer than the maximum number of days you are allowed to stay in the Schengen area.
Please note that being granted a Schengen visa does not guarantee that you will be allowed to enter the Schengen area. The final decision on whether or not you will be allowed to enter the Schengen area will be made by the border police on your arrival. When you arrive, the border police may ask you to present additional documentation alongside your passport and valid visa with information on your financial means, the length and purpose of your stay, and your health insurance cover. You should therefore take a copy of your visa documents (including an invitation from Germany, hotel reservation and travel health insurance) with you on your trip.