Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts
German ID (applicant 16 years and older)
German identity card, © dpa Themendienst
In addition to a German passport, German citizens can apply for a identity card. However, it is not mandatory to have an ID.
German ID card: general information
The identity card with a contactless, electronic chip is a multifunctional card. If the applicant wishes so, the chip in the card can store fingerprints as an additional biometric security detail as well as the photo.
Information on identity cards and their uses can be found on the website of the Federal Ministry of the Interior: www.personalausweisportal.de. It is not mandatory to acquire an ID. Should you already possess a valid German travel passport, applying for an identity card is optional.
Who can obtain a German ID?
A German ID can only be issued to German citizens. If you are not sure whether you hold the German citizenshiop, this questions needs to be answered first. Information on the German citizenship is available here: German citizenship
Still registered in Germany?
If you still have your residency in Germany, please apply for your ID there. The German Embassy Windhoek is not responsible for such cases and can only render support in exceptional circumstances.
Should there be exceptional circumstances (such as a loss of passport during travel), that means that you cannot apply for a new passport in Germany, the German Embassy in Windhoek will be able to render support.
In addition to the passport fees, you will need to pay a non-responsibility recovery fee (Unzuständigkeitszuschlag) as well as other necessary fees such as telephone costs. The processing time will take longer, since the Embassy will need to receive an authorization from the responsible authority in Germany.
Applications for IDs must be handed in personally at the German Embassy Windhoek and only after booking an appointment through the following link: Online Appointment System
The appointment system has been developed for use at a PC with browers Firefox or Internet Explorer. If you cannot access the page or book an appointment properly, please read our information on trouble shooting here: How to book an appointment with the Consular Section
All documents must be presented as an original and as a copy. Copies certified by German or Namibian authorities can replace the original.
Documents in other languages than in German and English must be handed in with a translation into German or English.
Please bring the following documents personally to your appointment:
- Completed and signed application for an identity card
- Application form for adults PDF / 614 KB
- Two identical, current biometric passport photos. Please note that photos that deviate from the pattern panel for passport photos cannot be accepted
- Photo template for passport photos PDF / 550 KB
- Last German identity card of passport (if available; if the last identity card is lost or was stolen, please provide the police report)
- Birth certificate
- If applicable: birth certificate of the German parent/s
- If applicable: German passport/s of the German parent/s
- If you were naturalized in Germany: German naturalization certificate or „Registrierschein“
- If you were naturalized in Namibia: Namibian certificate of naturalization and official permission to retain German citizenship (Beibehaltungsgenehmigung)
- If you do not have Namibian citizenship: current residence permit
- If you also have Namibian citizenship: Namibian identity document
- If applicable: certificate of name issued by a German civil registry
- Marriage certificate (if you are or were married)
- If applicable: divorce documents
- If you wish your academic title to be registered: certificate of the degree
- If applicable: deregistration from the last place of residence in Germany
The fees for the identity card needs to be paid at the application in Namibian Dollar. The below mentioned fees will be converted into Namibian Dollar according to the exchange rate of the Embassy on that day. Payment can be done with cash or credit cards (Visa or MasterCard).
|Identity Card (below 24 years)||52,80 Euro|
|Identity Card (below 24 years and non-responsibility additional fees)||65,80 Euro|
|Identity Card (above 24 years)||58,80 Euro|
|Identity Card (above 24 years and non-responsibility additional fees)||71,80 Euro|
Processing time and validity
German identity cards are produced by the Federal Printing Office in Berlin. Please expect a processing time of 8 to 10 weeks. Identity cards for applicants below 24 years are valid for 6 years. Identity cards for applicants above 24 years are valid for 10 years.
At a glance: downloads and links
For all questions you do not find an answer for on this website, please contact the Consular Section directly:
For all consular services at the passport section of the German Embassy Windhoek you have to arrange an appointment well in advance. Please find the link to the online appointment system here:
The appointment system has been developed for use at a PC with browers Firefox or Internet Explorer. With other browsers or devices, performance can be limited. If you cannot access the page properly, please read our information on trouble shooting here: How to book an appointment with the Consular Section